Here is a super simple, tasty, savory dish with all the favorites. I didn’t use the arugula, it’s a personal preference and the recipe is sooooooo good! I also added some of the Gardein meatless chick’n (vegan) and that added nice texture and additional flavor.
- 2 medium or large sweet potatoes, scrubbed and rinsed
- 1 cup seeded and diced fresh tomatoes, such as Camparis
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and chopped
- 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup baby arugula
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Slice the sweet potatoes lengthwise into ½-inch-thick slices. Lay the slices flat on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the edges are browned and the slices are easily pierced with a fork.
3. While the sweet potatoes are baking, combine the diced tomatoes, red onion, garlic, basil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Cover and let sit until the sweet potatoes are done.
4. When the sweet potatoes are just about ready, chop the avocado and gently fold it into the tomato mixture.
5. Top the sweet potato slices with sliced cucumber and baby arugula, and then spoon with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the avocado mixture on top.